Friday, October 9, 2015

Lucy's Story





































I used to do a lot of singing and got to the point where I couldn't hit notes I used to be able to hit. I also worked on the telephones and it got to the point my voice kept breaking and I felt like I had a frog in it and needed to clear it.



After bumping into an old friend and her commenting on my voice and how bad it sounded, I decided to go to the doctor. I was told I had laryngitis and to rest my voice for 2 weeks. In them 2 weeks, I read a story in a magazine about throat cancer and I knew as soon as I read it I had cancer.

I went back to the doctors and tried to tell him but his response was, "you are only 25 there is no chance it's throat cancer but I will do the checks to put your mind at rest."


After having a camera down my throat and a biopsy, I was diagnosed with cancer of the larynx. I had 6 weeks of radiotherapy and was told they could no longer see the cancer. But only a few months later, I started having problems again.


I was violently sick all day and had to phone the hospital as it has hurt my throat. I was told it could be related to the cancer and to speak to my special nurse. I felt better the next day so I left it, but I started to get earache.


About 5 weeks later I had another biopsy. I was told the cancer had returned and was more aggressive. I was told I needed an operation in a couple of weeks. I begged them to try laser first, as I really didn't want a Laryngectomy, but unfortunately it was too aggressive for laser.

I had my Laryngectomy February 1, 2012 and since then I have had a little boy, who is 13 months old.
                                       
----Lucy Lodge



No comments:

Post a Comment